Department of Orthopaedics
The department of Orthopaedics is involved in teaching undergraduates, postgraduates & physiotherapy students.
The department has a separate out patient wing catering to about 250 patients per day. The out patient has 8 Consultation rooms, 2 Minor O.T., 1 Plaster cutting room, 1 Plaster application room & a Demonstration hall.
The department has 100 beds with 3 teaching units. The department has a Seminar hall, Museum and Library near the wards. The department has 3 Major O.T's for elective surgery & 1 Emergency O.T. to manage Orthopaedic Emergencies.
The department manages acute emergency & trauma. The department has all equipments for trauma surgeries, arthoplasty, arthoscopy, spinal surgeries, orthopaedic fracture table, C-arm, electric drill, pneumatic drill & all equipments required for major surgeries. Arthroplasty, Arthoroscopy, Endoscopic spine, Spine instrumentation and Illizarov surgeries are regularly performed.
The department conducts academic activities regularly. Seminars, journal clubs, subject reviews, subject symposia, clinical meetings & mortality meetings are held regularly.
Several scientific papers and research articles are published by the faculty. Nearly 15 to 20 papers/case reports are regularly presented in various academic forums, Bangalore Orthopaedic Society (BOS), Karnataka Orthopaedic Association (KOA) & Indian Orthopaedic Association (IOA) conferences. The department actively participates in Bangalore Orthopaedic Society meetings. The department has conducted BOS & KOA conferences at KIMS. The department has also conducted various hands on workshops & surgical updates.
Dr. J.N.Sridhara Murthy and Dr. Somashekar, have participated in Indo-British Travel Exchange Programme in the United Kingdom in September 2006 and Novenber 2009 respectively. During this visit, they have visited centres of excellence & have been exposed to newer techniques in Orthopaedics. They have also delivered talks at these centres.
Dr. T.S. Channappa has undergone fellowship in Orthopaedic Surgery and Sports Traumatology at the Department of Orthopaedic surgery and Traumatology at the Bruderholz - Hospital in Basel , Switzerland, in January, 2007.
Bharath Raju G., post graduate in the department from 2001-2004, and Dr. Sathya Vamsi Krishna, postgraduate in the department from 2010 – 2013 have been awarded Gold Medal by the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, for securing the highest marks in M.S. Ortho., in the year 2004 and 2013 respectively.
Dr.Karthik Subramanian, postgraduate in the department from 2011 – 2013 has secured first rank in Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, for D.Ortho., in the year 2013. In addition various awards have been presented to post graduates and faculty in Bangalore Orthopaedic Society & Karnataka Orthopaedic Association conferences.
LIST OF PUBLICATIONS
- Dr. J.N. Sridhara Murthy, Dr. Bharath Raju. G, Dr. Manoj Kumar .P - Autologous Platelet Concentrate infiltration in Management of Delayed / Non Union of Fractures – Technical Note and Tips. Journal Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, Jan-2011; Volume –1; Issue-1; 105 – 107.
- Dr. Sridhara Murthy. J.N, Dr. Pradeep A.R - Tenosynovial Giant Cell Tumour – Localised – Left Ankle, a rare Presentation; RHUHS Journal of Medical Sciences, january – 2012, Valume – 2, Issue – 1, 47-49
- Dr. Ranganath. H.D , Dr. Pradeep A.R - Pycnodysostosis – A Case Report; RHUHS Journal of Medical Sciences, January – 2012, Valume – 2, Issue – 1; 44 - 46
- DR. Ravish V Ningegowda, Dr. Karthik Subramanian ,Dr. I suresh - Chondroblastoma of the Talus ; The journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery , September 2013; Vol-2 – 52; Issue 5; 673 –677.
- Dr. Ravish. V.N , Dr. Karthik Subramanian ,Dr. I. Suresh - Monteggia Fracture – Dislocation type 3 with posterior interosseous Nerve ( PIN) injury- A Case Report; International Journal of current Research & Review, December 2012; Vol 04 ( 24 ) ; 32 – 37.
- Dr. Somashekar, Dr. Sathya Vamsi Krishna , Dr. Sridhara Murthy J.N - Treatment of Femoral Neck Fractures: Unipolar Versus Bipolar Hemiarthroplasty ; Malaysian Orthopaedic Journal , 2013 Volume-7, No-3; 6 – 11.
- Dr. Sridhara Murthy J.N,Dr. Somashekar, Dr. Ranganath. H.D, Yatish R - Management of neglected Fracture of femur by internal fixation and Tensor Fascia Lata muscle grafting ; A prospective study; RGUHS Journal of Medical Sciences, July 2013; Rguhs Journal of Medical Sciences, July 2013; Vol 3 ; Issue 3; 141-145.
- Dr. Sridhara Murthy J.N, Dr. Yatish. R, Dr. Ranganath.H.D - Management of Missed Monteggia Fracture in Children; RGUHS Journal of Medical Sciences, July 2013; Vol 3 Issue 3; 149 – 152.